There are many ways that we can be active and healthy. The important thing is to keep moving. First perhaps we should discuss why movement is important. Now, I am not a personal trainer or health professional, let me just get that on the table immediately. So, Why should we keep moving? Have you ever been sick in bed for a few days? I have, It was awful. Now, of course that is taking it to the extreme, but the fact remains that being sedentary has negative effects on our body and our mind. The simple negative effects that we can see ourselves , are lack of energy, increase in appetite, muscle soreness and body aches, weight gain, more of a negative mood and irritability.
The thing I noticed in myself was that the longer I went without being active, the more irritable I became and the less motivation I had. See, I had been healed from fibromyalgia several years ago at the altar. I took my medicines up front to the altar and asked for prayer from the Pastor and Church members. They prayed for me to be healed and I had faith that Jesus would manifest this healing in my body. I gave up the prescriptions went home and maintained my faith. It was a difficult few days filled with a lot of pain, as the devil tried to convince me that the healing was not going to happen, but by day 3, I had no more pain and the healing from Jesus had fully manifest itself in my body. Since that day i have rejoiced in my my body’s ability to move! It’s wonderful, God gave us these bodies and the ability to Jump, Dance, Run, Skip, Walk etc. We are more able to carry out God’s plan for us here on earth if we are fit and healthy. There are always extenuating circumstances, and I am not trying downplay those, I do understand that some people have illness or injury that may prevent them from participating in many activities, but for those of us that have the ability I feel it is prudent and wise for us to cherish that ability. We should maintain a healthy fit lifestyle, so that when God says “go” we are able to go. Whether he is leading you to maintain your home for your family, participate in various church activities and ministries, be on the streets witnessing, going on mission trips across the world, or simply building relationships with those around you, helping in any way you can. The simple fact is that we are better equipped to fulfill those obligations if we are more healthy. So for today, lets focus on a few scriptures as well as a few simple ways to be active in our everyday lifestyles.
- Go for a walk with your children
- Dance to some Christian music , giving God praise
- Play frisbee or basketball as a family
- Try rollerblading or riding your bike on some safe trails if available to you
- Go hiking and enjoy the beautiful world God created
- Hula Hoop with your children or some fun friends
- Take a fun exercise class
- Jump on a trampoline
- Have a race with your spouse and let the kids be the judges
- Do pushups, situps and crunches with your children, because their health matters as well
- Take the dog for a run
- Go rockclimbing, skiing, or snowboarding if you are feeling adventurous
There are so many ways for us to be active and they are joyful and fun. I love being active with my family. Activities like these, draw us closer together and allow us time to laugh and be joyful together.
Some scriptures for Motivation:
Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. NKJ
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. NKJ
Whatever activity you choose to participate in, keep your eyes focused on Jesus.
Below I have included some Medical reasons for Activity from
National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD)
- People who are physically inactive have an increased risk of colon and breast cancer. One study showed a 40% decrease in cancer mortality in persons who were physically active compared to those who were inactive.
- Physical activity helps prevent insulin resistance, the underlying cause of type 2 diabetes. A recent study reported that for every 2 hours that a person watched TV, the risk of type 2 diabetes increased 14%.
- Regular physical activity helps reduce the risk of cognitive decline. One study reported that there was a 50% reduction in the risk of dementia in older persons who maintained regular bouts of physical activity.
- People who are sedentary have the highest rate of heart attack. In the Nurses’ Health Study, women who were physically active 3 hours or more per week (half an hour daily) cut their risk of heart attack in half.
- Stroke, which is often referred to as a brain attack, affects approximately 730,000 people annually. Data from the Aerobics Research Center in Dallas, Texas, found that physically active men lowered their risk of stroke by two-thirds. And in the Nurses’ Health Study, physically active women decreased their risk of stroke by 50%.
- Lack of physical activity increases the loss of lean muscle tissue, making activities of daily living (dressing and bathing) and instrumental activities of daily living (grocery shopping, performing transfers) much more difficult to perform. Loss of vital lean muscle tissue also makes it more difficult to maintain body weight.
- Bones, like muscles, require regular exercise to maintain their mineral content and strength. Bone loss progresses much faster in people who are physically inactive.
- People who don’t perform regular physical activity are more likely to become depressed. Physical activity is a good way to reduce mood swings and helps a person maintain a sense of emotional well being.
- People who don’t get regular physical activity are more likely to gain excess weight. One study showed that an hour of walking daily cut the risk of obesity by 24%.
- People who get regular physical activity have a more efficient immune system, which helps ward off various disease and illnesses such as colds and the flu. http://www.nchpad.org/403/2216/Sedentary~Lifestyle~is~Dangerous~to~Your~Health
Wishing you many blessings in Jesus as you find the simple joy in movement.